By now if you hang around healthy lifestyle blogs or websites you've probably seen people raving about coconut water. It's skyrocketed in popularity in the last few years for some good reasons...
Coconut water is low in calories, has more potassium than four bananas, and is super hydrating because it's loaded with electrolytes.
I'll be honest, I was NOT A FAN for a long time. I don't love how coconut water tastes. It's slightly sweet and a teensy bit nutty. And, not to be confused with coconut milk, it's actually a clear water-like drink. It looks like water and smells like water but it tastes like.... well... coconut water. Ha!
It wasn't until I had it mixed with pineapple juice that I was HOOKED! Now I drink it probably every day, especially if I'm out in the sun (read: paddleboarding) or as fuel for an intense workout. Since I don't like to drink it plain I sneak it into other drinks like the iced coffee pictured above. (Just brew espresso or really strong black coffee, then water it down with coconut water, add in your favorite sweetener if you like and you're done!) I love it mixed with a generous splash of pineapple and served icy cold too.
But it's not just mocktails and feeling like one of the cool kids that make drinking coconut water fun, here's five killer benefits associated with coconut water:
1. COCONUT WATER IS A NATURAL SPORTS DRINK: Coconut water has waaaayyyy less sugar and calories than your favorite sports drink and is still loaded with potassium and electrolytes for quick energy. It's also a great option instead of sugary juices for little ones.
2. IMMUNITY BOOSTING: Because it is rich in nutrients and vitamins like riboflavin, niacin, thiamin and pyridoxine, and folates, coconut water has anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties that can help increase your body's immune system and fight viral infections like flu.
3. FEND OF MUSCLE CRAMPS: One of the biggest benefits of coconut water is that it prevents muscle cramps. Coconut water is high in potassium, whose deficiency can lead to muscle cramps.
4. A HAPPY HEART: Coconut water is rich in magnesium and potassium and is helpful for people who suffer from low blood pressure. Coconut water also helps to increase good cholesterol which makes it a wonderful treatment for maintaining good cardiovascular health.
5. TURN BACK THE CLOCK: Coconut water contains cytokines and lauric acid, the two important elements which are used in the process of cell growth and their regulation. It has significant anti-ageing, anti-carcinogenic and anti-thrombotic properties which helps to minimize skin aging, balances PH levels and keeps the connective tissue hydrated and strong.
What do you think? Have you tried coconut water before? Did you dig it? Would you try it? What's your favorite way to drink it?